Len Dodson of California and Kenneth Badawy of Ohio each correctly selected 15 of 18 props in the Thoroughbred Idea Foundation Belmont Day Prop Contest, the best of 128 participants. Dodson’s tiebreaker was closer to the actual total of the combined win, place and show pool, earning the win. A $1,000 contribution to the Belmont Child Care Association will be made in Dodson’s name.
Dodson was a regular player in the 2019 TIF Summer Prop Contest, finishing in a 12th place tie in the overall standings. Rick Hammerle was the overall winner of that contest. The TIF Summer Prop Contest will return in 2020 with another big sum on the line for racing charities. More information will be shared with former players and those interested in joining in the coming weeks.
Anthony Stabile, of the Horse Racing Radio Network and part of the NYRA broadcast team, finished in a six-way tie for third in this weekend’s contest, all players with 13 correct props. Another eight players recorded 12 correct props.
Below are the results of the props and the degree of support each selection received by the participants. Numbers can vary in case a prop was skipped by a participant.
1. HEAD TO HEAD: Who will have the better finishing position in the Belmont Stakes?
#3 MAX PLAYER (Actual – 3rd) (46.4%)
#4 MODERNIST (Actual – 7th) (53.6%)
2. HEAD TO HEAD: Who will have the better finishing position in the Belmont Stakes?
#1 TAP IT TO WIN (Actual – 5th) (62.1%)
#9 DR POST (Actual – 2nd) (37.9%)
3. HEAD TO HEAD: Who will have the better finishing position in the Belmont Stakes?
#2 SOLE VOLANTE (Actual – 6th) (66.4%)
#10 PNEUMATIC (Actual – 4th) (33.6%)
4. According to the published Equibase chart of the race, what horse will be last after the first half-mile of the Belmont Stakes?
#2 SOLE VOLANTE (17.6%)
#5 FARMINGTON ROAD (40.0%)
#7 JUNGLE RUNNER (27.2%)
Any other horse (15.2%)
5. According to the published Equibase chart of the race, the time for the first half-mile of the Belmont Stakes will be…
A - 46.40 seconds or faster (Actual - 46.16 seconds) (49.6%)
B - 46.41 seconds or slower – (50.4%)
6. The winner of the Belmont Stakes will be…
A - #8 TIZ THE LAW (69.6%)
B - Either #1 TAP IT TO WIN, #2 SOLE VOLANTE, or #9 DR POST (21.6%)
C - Any other horse (8.8%)
7. According to the published Equibase chart of the race, the winning margin of victory for the Belmont Stakes will be…
A - 1 ½ lengths or shorter (23.2%)
B - Between 1 3/4 lengths and 3 ¼ lengths (57.6%)
C - 3 1/2 lengths or longer (Actual - 3 ¾ lengths) (19.2%)
8. The final win odds of #8 TIZ THE LAW will be…
A - At his morning line price of 6-5 or higher (11.3%)
B - Lower than his morning line price (Actual 4-5) (88.7%)
9. Which horse will the second choice in the Belmont Stakes, according to the final chart published by Equibase?
#1 TAP IT TO WIN (5.2-1) (40.0%)
#2 SOLE VOLANTE (11.2) (37.6%)
#9 DR POST (7.9-1) (19.2%)
#10 PNEUMATIC (17.8-1) (3.2%)
10. Which number will be greater?
A - Jungle Runner’s final win odds in the Belmont Stakes (29.5-1) (65.6%)
B - The total of all runs scored in the Korean Baseball Organization (KBO) games played on Sunday, June 21 (51 runs scored) (34.4%)
11. Which will be larger?
A - The sum of the finishing positions of Belmont Stakes horses ridden by jockeys having their first ride in the race PLUS 8.5 (#2 SOLE VOLANTE – Luca Panici, #7 JUNGLE RUNNER – Reylu Gutierrez, #8 TIZ THE LAW – Manuel Franco) TOTAL 25.5 (41.6%)
B - The sum of the finishing positions of Belmont Stakes horses ridden by jockeys to have won a Belmont Stakes previously (#1 TAP IT TO WIN – John Velazquez, #3 MAX PLAYER – Joel Rosario, #6 FORE LEFT – Jose Ortiz, #9 DR POST – Irad Ortiz) TOTAL 20 (58.4%)
12. Which one-mile graded stakes race on the turf at Belmont will have the faster final time, according to the Equibase chart of the race?
Race 4 - The Pennine Ridge (1:33.66) (71.2%)
Race 6 - The Wonder Again (1:34.23) (28.8%)
13. Which race will have the shorter winning margin, according to the post-race Equibase charts?
The Woody Stephens (3 ¾ Lengths) TIE (80.0%)
The Belmont Stakes (3 ¾ lengths) TIE (20.0%)
14. Which of the following results will occur in the Woody Stephens and Acorn?
A - Progeny of Into Mischief will win both the Woody Stephens (MISCHIEVOUS ALEX or SHOPLIFTED) AND the Acorn (GAMINE or LUCREZIA)? (22.6%)
B - Progeny of Into Mischief will win either the Woody Stephens or Acorn, but not both (58.4%)
C – Progeny of Into Mischief will not win the Woody Stephens and Acorn (15.2%)
15. The winner of the Jaipur will come from a trainer with a stable in…
A - New York (#4 PURE SENSATION, #6 HIDDEN SCROLL, #7 WHITE FLAG, #8 LONHTWIST) (38.4%)
B - Any other state (#1 KANTHAKA, #2 OLEKSANDRA, #3 TEXAS WEDGE, #5 STUBBINS) (61.6%)
16. How many favorites (according to the final Equibase charts) will win over the 12 races at Belmont Park?
A - Over 5.5 (TOTAL 7 Favorites) (44.8%)
B - Under 5.5 (55.2%)
17. What combination of jockeys will have the most wins on Saturday at Belmont Park?
A - Irad Ortiz Jr. and Jose Ortiz (4 wins) (43.2%)
B - Manuel Franco, Joel Rosario, John Velazquez (5 wins) (56.8%)
18. Which will occur over the course of the race day at Belmont Park?
A - No demotions by the stewards (72.0%)
B - At least one demotion as a result of a stewards’ inquiry or objection (28.0%)
TIEBREAKER: What will be the total of the combined win, place and show pools of the 2020 Belmont Stakes? Total was $12,033,521